All times are UTC

Post subject: GMSI Under Linux
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:59 am 
Light User

Is there anything stopping me from running GMSI using linux? Assuming that I compile a linux version of sfmpq. I'm guessing that there are other concerns, considering that it seemed that gex was not planning for its use on linux.

To explain the primary reason I'm interested in this:

For the longest time I've hated loadcodes, they're a hassle, I've lost more than one computer containing all of my codes, they can only store a limited amount of information, they're relatively easy to break in most cases and are generally a hassle, especially if the mapmaker wants to change some core portion of what is to be saved. My idea is (rather limited, but still) to have my map hosted ONLY by my ghost bot, and at the end of the map all necessary information (levels, abilities, anything) is sent through something like GMSI, which adds that information directly to the map, which is then hosted by the ghost bot. To get around the fact that this would mean that I only have one map hosted at a time, I would probably host several with some distinct name/title to help prevent people from joining the wrong one (or simply have all the data able to be merged easily) and then merge the two/more maps every night.

Post subject: Re: GMSI Under Linux
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:52 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

YouTD Score: 240
ppl would have to download the map all over again and GMSI is not able to alter a protected map.

GMSI should probably work with a linux sfmpq.

I think it might be easier that the bot saves the codes and then emits "-load" chatstrings for the players (i.e. as if the player would have written them). I m not into bots so I dunno if that is possible, but it seems conceptually 10 times easier than your idea.

Post subject: Re: GMSI Under Linux
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:49 am 
Light User

True, and that was one of the things I had originally thought of doing, but
A.) this method is, while not as practical, a lot more interesting and is generally just a fun exercise in unnecessary coding
B.) I seem to remember that there were a few issues to be had with that method, but for the life of me I can't remember at the moment :/

Although if I don't want the geek cred I will likely go with the method that you mention :P

But either way, handling it on the bot side makes things so much easier (webstats anyone?), I'm surprised that other maps haven't tried it.