All times are UTC

Post subject: Flash Games @ eeve.org
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:24 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

YouTD Score: 270
Since I had some spare time at University these days, but have no laptop that is able to run Warcraft or the Editor, I used that time to finish an old PHP script I had written years ago. It allows everybody to upload his favorite flash games to the page, which then can be browsed, rated, discussed and played by everybody. (So it's basically a simple open flash game site script)

Maybe it will attract some more visitors to eeve.org and the advertising might help me to get a development laptop...

Have fun playing my favorite flash games and feel free to upload yours. The upload page should be pretty self explaining. You can reach the flash game script at the "Flash Games" menu entry at the top of the page.

Post subject: Re: Flash Games @ eeve.org
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:13 pm 
YouTD Admin
YouTD Admin

YouTD Score: 673
I think the script is cool but aren't there any problems with the authors of the games?

P.s. the page is really full of advertisement.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:28 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

boekie wrote:
I think the script is cool but aren't there any problems with the authors of the games?

P.s. the page is really full of advertisement.

No, normally the Authors even want to spread their games as wide as possible. If an author doesn't want his game to be played on other sites than his, he normally site-locks his game (that means the swf checks from which page it is loaded and simply doesn't start if it loaded from a not authorized page.)

If an author contacts me and wants his game to be removed I will do so and blacklist the game that it cannot be uploaded agin.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:50 pm 
User

The thing keeps saying my image extension is not valid. I have tried JPEG and PNG... Took a screenshot ingame and put it in paint. Cut it to only show the game window, then changed the size to 220x160 (240x160 was not possible).

Am I doing something wrong here?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:54 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

you must write the PNG with small letters, it must be .png. And check if you haven't mixed up the swf and the image file (I did it 2 times ;) ).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:56 pm 
User

geX wrote:
you must write the PNG with small letters, it must be .png. And check if you haven't mixed up the swf and the image file (I did it 2 times ;) ).

First I had no extension (it was just the file "Run" (but xp recognized it as PNG), then I had .PNG, now I'll try .png :).

Edit: It worked. Run is now on this website! :).

Edit 2: Crap... the game doesn't allow me to play it on Eeve... what now?

Edit 3: I took the swf now from a different website which hasn't got the difficulty selection in the game, but maybe this one can be played on eeve. Can you, Gex, delete the current Run from the flash page so I can upload the different one?

Thanks!

Last edited by Maximusje on Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:34 pm 
User

There seem to be lots of issues with the image uploading.

When you save a file in paint as png, it saves it as [imagename].PNG and since the program doesn't recognize .PNG it won't work.

Now I uploaded an image (24-bit bmp, something around 241x158 pixels) and it said the image size was unknown. Now it did upload the flash game... without image :|. Oh and the preview image is in jpeg while I uploaded a bmp o.o?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:53 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Maximusje wrote:
There seem to be lots of issues with the image uploading.

When you save a file in paint as png, it saves it as [imagename].PNG and since the program doesn't recognize .PNG it won't work.

Now I uploaded an image (24-bit bmp, something around 241x158 pixels) and it said the image size was unknown. Now it did upload the flash game... without image :|. Oh and the preview image is in jpeg while I uploaded a bmp o.o?

Please attach the malfunctioning image here. I will check it and also allow upper case PNG.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:20 pm 
User

Particles screenshot

There you go!

EDIT:
Again I have problems with uploading my screenshots. This time I wanted to upload zilch [flash], but the code still can't recognize my .PNG [image].

And about the game genres, they are kind of vague. There seems to be no genre for gamble games (so -> misc) nor for puzzle games (unless 'brain teasers' are puzzle games :O) and what is meant with 'dexterity'?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:27 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Maximusje wrote:
Particles screenshot

There you go!

EDIT:
Again I have problems with uploading my screenshots. This time I wanted to upload zilch [flash], but the code still can't recognize my .PNG [image].

And about the game genres, they are kind of vague. There seems to be no genre for gamble games (so -> misc) nor for puzzle games (unless 'brain teasers' are puzzle games :O) and what is meant with 'dexterity'?

The script isn't fixed yet. I should also give the possibility to update a game...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:28 am 
User

Hmmm,what am I supposed to say?
Flash Games might be a tool to attract more users online or advertizements.It's a new and suprising idea.Good Job,geX!

However,we must have a basic knowledge that a professional flashgame players would prefer sites like armorgames.com as their flashgame platform,thus making flashgames at eeve.org no more than a tool to kill time.After all,we are playing Wacraft here,not flashgames.

I also have some good news to tell you,geX(in PM).I just wish that you could concentrate on your role,which is the most important core of eeve.org.That's the fastest and most useful way to attract more and more.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:57 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

mfdsrax2 wrote:
Hmmm,what am I supposed to say?
However,we must have a basic knowledge that a professional flashgame players would prefer sites like armorgames.com as their flashgame platform,thus making flashgames at eeve.org no more than a tool to kill time.After all,we are playing Wacraft here,not flashgames.

True, but I never wanted it to become a hardcore flash game site. More a repository where you can paste cool games you find.

Quote:
I also have some good news to tell you,geX(in PM).I just wish that you could concentrate on your role,which is the most important core of eeve.org.That's the fastest and most useful way to attract more and more.

If you donate me the missing 1000€ for a new laptop, I can do so *joking* ;).

The problem is that my exams are soon, so I hang around at university almost all day (10+ hours per day, even at the weekends) and learning with my fellow students. Since I have no development laptop there, all I can do is hacking some PHP stuff :).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:18 pm 
User

I see you fixed my screenshot. What was the problem (maybe it being .PNG?)?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:57 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

yes, it was the PNG...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:27 am 
Power User

Preview image:

For best results, your image should have the dimension 240 (height):160 (width) pixel. If that is not possible, try at least to have a 3:2 (width/height) ratio, otherwise, parts of your image will be cut.

=====

I think I found a mistake on description.

It should be:

For best results, your image should have the dimension 240 (width):160 (height) pixel. If that is not possible, try at least to have a 3:2 (width/height) ratio, otherwise, parts of your image will be cut.