All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Bad news for my Maps. Or maybe a new start?
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 9:43 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

YouTD Score: 240
Again, destiny hit me hard.

My USB memory stick broke suddenly. This was where all my maps and their development stuff was saved (since I develop on different PCs so I always have them with me). Of course, I had a safe copy... on my harddisk. Exactly! This harddisk that broke a few months ago. You know, safe copies are useless if ALL your hardware is breaking, including the safe copy device...
I admit that I should have made a new one since then, but I am a lazy guy. But I definitly learned form it and it won't happen again...

So what does this mean:
Almost all my development data vanished :(.

What I could save:

CF:
A parsed "GMSI run over" version of CF 1.14b (or at least it says 1.14b, I hope it really is it, I found it on my new harddisk). However, all the new stuff I did (rewriting the core engine) is lost :(. In addition, I used GMSI scripts to build things fast (assign wood gain to buildings and write an init trigger from all objects). Those build scripts have also vanished.

YouTD:

The latest version (unparsed with GMSI) was still in my JNGP last saved maps log, so it is still there. However, again, the GSL build scripts that added all the creeps and towers into the map have vanished.

Since I really don't have the time (and the verve) to rewrite all the lost stuff, I will try to find someone (or a team) to continue the projects. If you like to continue one of them go ahead and sign up here. However, I need some kind of trust in you that you do not waste the projects and I have to know you got the knowledge to continue them in my quality level. Therefore I require you to show me stuff that you have already done. You should be fluent in vJASS (since they are written in it). Apply in this thread or write me a PM. Show me what you have already done. I will chat with those people where I think they have the knowledge to continue and try to choose one (or more) of them to continue the projects. You must agree that the projects stay on this website since I like it to stay the hub for them. Of course you will be granted all permissions you need here.

What is to be done:
CF:
All my new core engine in clean vjass is gone. So you will have to work with the old code that is sometimes pain in the ass. In addition the GMSI build scripts are gone, so you either write new ones or do everything by hand which is super pain in the ass (creating the init trigger with all buildings, setting lumber cost, training time, lumber gain, bounty gain,.... for all new units).

YouTD:

YouTD relies on the build scripts to inject all towers and creeps into it. Since these scripts are gone, you have to write new ones. So you need GSL knowledge to continue here. However, the inject mechanism uses the one that also injects the tower into the test map, so the main work is already done. All you have to do is some misc stuff (like creating the base towers and adding the correct tower to the correct base tower, assigning the correct level to towers and items). Once these scripts are restored a new release is very easy. Just push a button here on the website and you will deliviered all towers that are accepted. These can then with one script execution be inserted into the map.

I really hope we find someone to continue my projects. Of course, you will receive help from me, but since I am very busy, I cannot spent very much time on it. So go ahead an sign up!

Post subject: Re: Bad news for my Maps. Or maybe a new start?
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 9:54 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

YouTD Score: 53
Really bad news ... ; (

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 10:53 am 
Light User

aaw fuck :(

i really hope you will find people who continue your work..
it will definatly be a new start for me though, since i only find my fun in 2 maps, which are CF and YouTD :x

tut mir wirklich leid für dich, kann mir echt nicht vorstellen, wie frustrierend das is...
ich bin schon verzweifelt als "nur" meine ganz musik bilder etc. weg waren als externe eingegangen is -_-

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 11:34 am 
Light User

oh, that's really pretty sad :((

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 11:48 am 
New User

I don't believe you... i don't want to believe you :(

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 2:48 pm 
Light User

bad news.
the god of hardware must hate you like hell ... :(

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 2:56 pm 
New User

big ouch...

Next time HDD safe copy, USB stick safe copy and an online safe copy? xD

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 3:43 pm 
User

so ... bye bye everybody?

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 4:16 pm 
Power User

YouTD Score: 46
it must be something with the weather. My Notebook just broke earlier this month^^

Things like this really suck. Higher causes.... Hope u're alright! At least we all live and are healthy (at least i hope you all are)

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 5:32 pm 
User

I would honestly love to...but as some of you might know from Glaive Masters, my free time isnt particularly copious... :<

There has to be somebody out there that can do it :D?

(Side note: Hey wait, maybe thats a good time for me to backup all my stuff :P)

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 6:48 pm 
User

How extremely dum.. Why didnt you make another backup, when you knew your hardware were broke?
And who is the guy, who saves information on a USB without saving it on the computer first :/
I'm really sorry, i feel really bad for you, but i'm starting to think all these things, wasnt there.. Like, if its not true....
But this makes me sad, when i know you have worked hard on it :/

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 6:52 pm 
User

But again, i definitely think that, this is "a new start", rather then "bad news".

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 7:50 pm 
User

Lol, what do you do with your hardware man? I've never heard of someone breaking so much stuff. It's delicate you know :P

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 8:55 pm 
Light User

Man, you should have just say you wanna quit, without erasing the files. :)

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 9:07 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

YouTD Score: 240
Nicklaspm wrote:
How extremely dum.. Why didnt you make another backup, when you knew your hardware were broke?
And who is the guy, who saves information on a USB without saving it on the computer first :/
I'm really sorry, i feel really bad for you, but i'm starting to think all these things, wasnt there.. Like, if its not true....
But this makes me sad, when i know you have worked hard on it :/

I know I was kinda stupid. I somehow thought that chips don't break so fast. I had never heard of a broken memory stick... thought that this is a very robust technique. (I know that this is silly, don't tell me, thx :cry: )

FYI:
Also my car broke after giving it to repair last month. Seems that they have overdrilled a screw from a wheel :(. However, they don't want to pay for it (saying I cannot prove it was their fault).

I see that some of you might think that all this is fake, that I just wanted to quit for SC2. But believe me, if I wanted to quit I would just say it and find someone for my maps and not erase all the important files to make it very hard for someone to continue my projects.

Oh, and not only the maps were on that stick. All my important stuff: Mails (all gone now), my curriculum vitae, passwords. I got so mad when I realized that I had no more safecopy of the stick (even not an old one). I normally did back it up all 1-2 months, but it seems I had been really careless in the last few months. I really have big problems at the moment. I already brought the stick to a data recovery expert here in munich. This would cost me up to 500€ if he had succeeded, but the data on the stick was clearly worth that mony. But also he couldn't do anything anymore. The chip seems to be totally malfunctioning :(.

I really hope I find somebody. During the years, there were many people asking to help me with CF. But most of them don't have the skills to rebuild it, I must admit :(.

The really bad thing are the missing GSL build files. I backed up the maps themselves (at least I somehow got the latest CF on my new harddisk) but not the build files. I somehow didn't relealize that with each new version I automated more stuff of the build process. So in 1.14b (and especially YouTD), a big part of the work was actually in the build files which then builded the map with just a few clicks, without me having to worry about wrong build times or stuff like that...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next